Miscarriage is heartbreaking. It is mentally and physically very hard for a couple to go through it. Most couples who want to try conceiving after a miscarriage about there fertility and if they are fertile enough to plan for another baby. The reason behind most miscarriages remain unknown and if they know it is good to get it treated and start trying. Some experts believe that fertility after a miscarriage may improve for a while before returning to normal. A woman who experienced a miscarriage may be extra fertile for a few months following a miscarriage. It is not possible to predict the future risk of a miscarriage from one incidence of miscarriage.
What happens to our fertility?
Doctors recommend waiting for a couple of months immediately after a miscarriage before considering conception again. Ideally, after a miscarriage, it is sensible to let a doctor assess a woman’s physical condition and medical history and then accordingly decide if she is medically fit for another pregnancy. Every individual’s body is different and can have a diverse coping and healing mechanism. Some women may be ready within a few weeks while some may take more time to heal.
According to research, there is a fleeting phase immediately after a miscarriage during which a woman may experience increased fertility. The reason behind this is the surge in progesterone soon after a miscarriage. Progesterone is known to facilitate the easy implantation of the egg in the uterus leading to a high chance of conception. The enhanced fertility is expected to return to normal within 3 to 6 weeks of a miscarriage with the regulation of ovulation and menstrual cycle. Sadly during this phase couples should not try to conceive as the mother would probably not be mentally and emotionally ready.
Ways to boost fertility after a miscarriage:
- Remain active and get some exercise in any form.
- Reduce or stop your caffeine intake as too much caffeine can cause conception issues.
- Stop all your ill habits, including smoking, drinking or use of drugs as they diminish fertility after a miscarriage and are sometimes even the cause for it.
- Give yourself time, coping through something unexpected and heartbreaking like miscarriage is not easy and you should give yourself some time to cope and not rush into things.
- You could get yourself a fertility cleansing. Fertility cleansing concentrates on uterine and liver health with the help of certain herbs.
- Reduce or eliminate stress, it is quite hard when there is so much on your mind but, stress can interfere with the functioning of the hormones and your ovulation. Owning to higher stress you may have delayed ovulation or no ovulation at all.
- Massage your uterus regularly once you have stopped bleeding after a miscarriage may also boost your fertility.
- Discuss with your doctor about all the options available for fertility treatment after a miscarriage and he may be able to suggest the best course of treatment like certain fertility-enhancing drugs or therapies.
- Eat balanced meals and include a lot of green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, healthy drinks, proteins, vitamins, iron-rich foods to improve your odds of getting pregnant again.
- Use an ovulation predictor kit which helps predict when a woman may be most fertile. Ovulation predictor kit or OPKs can sense an increase in the release of luteinizing hormone (LH). By timing intercourse, right after the LH surge, you can enhance the probability of conception.